Behind in your rent?
You're not alone
If you're a Victorian renter, Dear Landlord is a free, self-guided tool that can help you stay in your home. Whether it’s helping you write a letter to your rental provider or giving you legal information and helpful tips, Dear Landlord can point you in the right direction.
How Dear Landlord works
Dear Landlord makes it easy for you to figure out your options if you’re behind in rent.
- Step 1 Choose an option that best suits your situation. You can start by watching the eviction process video if you're unsure.
- Step 2 Dear Landlord will direct you to your options and where to get support.
- Step 3 Dear Landlord will help you take steps to act.
Who can use Dear Landlord
Dear Landlord can help you if:
- You are renting a residential property in Victoria, Australia.
- You rent from a private rental provider, not a public or community housing provider. You may rent directly from the rental provider or through a real estate agency.
- You are behind in rent or might fall behind in rent.
- You are an Australian citizen, permanent resident, temporary or any other type of visa holder.
If your legal problem is not related to falling behind on rent but you are at risk of eviction or experiencing other problems with housing, apply for legal help on Justice Connect's website.